Movie ~ The Sixth Sense | My Movie Land

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Movie ~ The Sixth Sense

"The Sixth Sense" is a relatively old movie. It was released in 1999 and yet I only watched it recently as it was recommended by my friend who has this agenda of scaring the living daylights out of me. He was the one who recommended me "Exorcism of Emily Rose", "The Maid" and "The Grudge".

*The Sixth Sense* movie poster

To me, "The Sixth Sense" is not an extraordinary movie, despite the rave reviews it received. In fact, this so-called sixth sense is actually what we know as the third eye, but bring Asian Culture to the Westerners and they get awed.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) and his wife

I even personally know of people with this third eye so this is not something new to me. The spirits aren't even scary in the first place, and not revengeful or burning with fury. The spirits portrayed in "The Sixth Sense" are the type that died under unfortunate circumstances, hence trapped in the vicinity of their death scene.

Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment) in class

But the thing that made me jump out of my seat is the clever play of the volume of the background music. Turn it up 500 decibels suddenly and anyone would jump. There were a few such moments.

Cole and Dr. Crowe in Cole's school

I wouldn't say this movie is boring, but it is very, very slow paced and it took me a long time to warm up to Cole (Haley Joel Osment). Maybe it's because of his looks but it's good to watch Dr. Crowe any time. Bruce Willis is eye candy, despite his age.

Bringing out the best in each other

I like the twist of plot at the end of the movie. In fact, when Dr. Crowe was shot, I thought that he died, but as the movie progressed, I think all of us thought that he recovered from the gunshot, that's why we were caught by surprise.

Cole and his mother

But the problem with this movie is that even Cole's mother could see and communicate with Dr. Crowe, which doesn't really work that way, in real life.

4 comments:

Minny said...

Cole's mum could not see or interact with Malcolm Crowe. She never talks to him or looks at him despite being in the same room.

Try watching the movie again to spot the subtle difference.

CyberPartyGal said...

I just watched that scene again. As far as I remember, she and Dr. Crowe only shared one scene together. They did not talk but just before she went into the kitchen, she looked that the chair that Dr. Crowe was sitting on. LOL

Edmund Yeo said...

Yeah. The only one who interacted with Malcolm throughout the film was Cole.

As for Sixth Sense, it's not really your generic horror film, more like a drama with horror elements, hence the languid pace. The rave reviews were mostly reserved for the twist ending, and the acting (with both Toni Collette and Haley Joel Osment receiving Oscar nominations), I'm no big fan of Shyamalan, but I think this is one of his more decent films.

CyberPartyGal said...

Did you notice Cole's mum stealing a glance at the chair Malcolm was sitting on, in her house?

Also, I just remembered another scene of Cole's mum sharing screen time with Malcolm. It's at the doctor's office where Shyamalan himself is the doctor.

In this scene, no one noticed Malcolm.

Post a Comment