Hong Kong Movie ~ My Wife Is 18 | My Movie Land

Friday, November 10, 2006

Hong Kong Movie ~ My Wife Is 18

*My Wife Is 18* movie poster

Popular Hong Kong singer, E-Kin Cheng, is Sap-Sam (13) Cheung, a thirty-year-old graduate student in the United Kingdom who spent the past eight years working on his thesis on female psychology.

To satisfy his grandmother's dying last wish, he has to get married to a girl arranged by his late grandfather. And that girl happens to be 18-year-old Hong Kong student, Yoyo Ma (Charlene Choi of Twins).

So they got married, but secretly arranged to divorce in a years' time. Soon after, 13 Cheung's grandmother passes on, and 13 Cheung decides to leave UK, and finds himself sharing Yoyo Ma's home.

13 Cheung with Ms. Lee in the Art Room

Although they are only husband and wife on paper, things begin to get complicated when 13 Cheung finds a job as a teacher in Yoyo's school.

Under the blanket just before they *ahem*

Yoyo becomes 13 Cheung's study for his thesis and as expected, feelings begin to creep in when putting a man and a woman girl together, alone in the house.

Yoyo Ma all dressed up ala Maggie Cheung in *In The Mood For Love*

With two ladies (and a man) loving 13 Cheung, who will he choose?

13 Cheung is reluctant to save Ms. Lee from a snake

It is not "roll on the floor laughing" kind of movie, but I find this movie rather amusing. The funniest part was when 13 Cheung tried to be a hero to save Ms. Lee from a snake that entered the gym.

Charlene Choi's Yoyo Ma was overboard and you either adore her character or find her most annoying.

13 Cheung: I'm sorry, Ms. Lee
Ms. Lee: I will hate you for the rest of my life

"My Little Bride", the 2003 Korean movie, which I watched some time back, is a copycat of "My Wife Is 18". To me, "My Wife Is 18" has better entertainment value. Perhaps my brain could better process the jokes in the dialogue, which is in Cantonese, whereas, I had to depend on the English subtitle for "My Little Bride". Moreover, a lot of elements are always left out in the translation process.

"My Wife Is 18" is a very light-hearted comedy, and one doesn't need to have deep thoughts over the plot. Do not expect anything spectacular either. Good to watch on a lazy evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment