Korean Drama ~ Goong / Palace / Imperial Household / Princess Hours | My Movie Land

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Korean Drama ~ Goong / Palace / Imperial Household / Princess Hours

......... the Korean drama on life in modern-day Korean Imperial Palace.

In my opinion, 24 hourly long episodes are a tad too long. Usually, K-dramas come in 16 or 20 episodes. In my eagerness to find out the ending, I spent last night watching the last four episodes in one sitting, until 3am. Whoa, no wonder my eyes are like panda bear's :-)

The actors and actresses did really well in carrying out their respective roles, considering all of them are first-timers. The two actors are cute in their own way, but not very leng chai by my standards. Woooeee I DID NOT fall in lurve with either one.

The two actresses are pretty but sayang la Yoon Eun Hye doesn't have a perfect set of teeth. However, there was chemistry between the actors and actresses.

The first third of this drama was very funny, when the Crown Princess was fumbling her way in the Imperial Palace. Her antics made her so sweet and adorable it's no wonder that the guys fell for her.

Also, there was a "Prince William" visiting from the United Kingdom. Hahaha this actor bears a slight resemblance to the real Prince William, but this guy is a bit more mature and his face is a bit fatter. It was very amusing, though. I bet the cast and crew laughed their guts out too.

The second third of the drama showed the fight for the heart of the Crown Prince. One girl already gave him up but wanted him back. She should have just let go, instead of making all parties involved hurt and miserable.

The last third shows the struggle for power in the Imperial Household. Some evil underhanded tactics were used just to gain power. Sorry, no spoilers, so you gotta watch to find out.

From the second half onwards, prepare lots of tissue. There's so much tears, one can't help getting all emo. It's so touching to watch guys cry ;-p

Things to look out for:
** Teddy bears in costumes reenacting memorable scenes at the end of almost every episode
** The old Queen watching
My Name is Kim Sam Soon on TV
** In Macau, a male dog was pissing in the background

What I don't like about K-dramas, actually I've already mentioned
here, are the SHOUTING and the loud eating noises. I find those eating noises very irritating. In Goong, there were these elements too. I'm beginning to think these are common traits in Koreans.

I'm really thankful to the team of fans who worked tirelessly to bring us the English subtitles. Without them, I won't be able to enjoy
Goong as much.

Also, if you like
Goong, then look out for Season 2 which is scheduled to be screened on Korean TV in February, 2007. Non-Korean speaking viewers will have to wait for awhile more for the subs.

Image courtesy of MBC

0 comments:

Post a Comment