Korean Drama ~ Attic Cat : Cat in a Rooftop Room / Cats on the Roof / Rooftop Room Cat / Rooftop Romance | My Movie Land

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Korean Drama ~ Attic Cat : Cat in a Rooftop Room / Cats on the Roof / Rooftop Room Cat / Rooftop Romance

Actually, at first, I didn't want to blog on this Korean drama, Attic Cat, but then I found out something dem funny that I thought I MUST share with you, especially if you have already watched this drama, or currently watching it, or plan to watch it soon.

But before that, allow me the customary n00b review on this drama. Don't worry, I'm not going to be long-winded and write a synopsis.

The gist of this romance drama is like this:

Nam Jung-eun loves Lee Kyung-min who loves Na Hye-ryun who loves Yoo Dong-joon who loves Nam Jung-eun

This is not a triangle love, but a RECTANGLE LOVE or is it CIRCULAR LOVE?!?

I can sympathize with Jung-eun. It's never easy to love someone and convinced that the love will never be reciprocated. That's why my father always say, "Marry the man who loves you, not the man you love" which means, marry the man who loves you more than you love him.

This drama was the 2003 Korean Drama of the Year and lead actor Kim Rae Won won the 2003 Korean Actor of the Year award for his portrayal in
Attic Cat.

Not surprising that it has its cult following as it touched on co-habitation and premarital sex in conservative Korea, although as the drama went on, even 16 episodes became too draggy for me.

I was fed-up with the cad that Kyung-min was and, despite having watched quite a few Korean dramas, I still cannot tolerate the shouting and screaming nor the slurping eating noises. Perhaps these are an exaggeration but don't they realise it's been overdone?

If this goes on in my next few K-dramas, I might go back to serials from TVB. It's so off-putting.

After watching a few K-dramas, it seems like the norm for singles of marriageable age to go on blind dates, while in Goong, it was a blind marriage, but that's kinda expected for Royals lar.

I didn't like the whiner Kyung-min who kept harping on the following repeatedly:

1. Difficulty of the Bar exam
2. His love for Hye-ryun
3. His love for meat
4. bla bla bla

.......... he's so selfish that only Jung-eun can tolerate him.

Interestingly, the actress that was Jung-eun's mother was also Kim Sam Soon's mother. She's quite a good actress =)

Attic Cat focused too much on meal times and food. If a tune is repeated once too often, people say that it's a broken record, in this case, it seemed like a broken video.

Also, the sound track was so LCLY sounding. One of the songs was nice though, and it has two versions. One was performed by a lady, another performed by a man. The lady sounds like an auntie while, worse, the man sounds like a grandpa.

Now, the music and lyrics are very meaningful but I don't know why they have to spoil it by choosing singers who do not have the appropriate voice to carry out the beautiful song.

They should have asked
Lee Hyun Woo [Yoo Dong-joon] to perform the song, cos guess what, he is a singer! You may ask what's so funny about that, and what was the joke that I just have to share to make me blog on Attic Cat, well check THIS OUT.

I know, it STILL is not funny....not until you watched the video for "Please Don't Stop". Oh God, I nearly fell off my chair laughing. Never knew Mr. Kayu was like that some ten years ago. That's why la, "Never judge a book by its cover."
hahahaha

Having said all the above doesn't mean I did not enjoy
Attic Cat. There were moments where I laughed, but it didn't make me cry, failed to touch my heart or make a connection with me most of the time, but this is just my personal opinion.

I wish I can tell you now to excuse me while I go feed my cat, but I don't have one, unfortunately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment