Korean Drama ~ My Name Is Kim Sam Soon / My Lovely Sam Soon | My Movie Land

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Korean Drama ~ My Name Is Kim Sam Soon / My Lovely Sam Soon

Finally, I've finished watching "My Lovely Sam Soon".

And I'll attempt to review it today, but first, for some introduction.....

"My Lovely Sam Soon" is also known as "My Name is Kim Sam Soon", the literal translation from its Korean title.

It was THE 2005 K-Drama of the year...
not surprising at all.

If I were a true bum, I would've just sat through 16 hours straight to finish the drama, instead of taking almost two weeks.

Why wasn't I surprised this drama became THE 2005 K-drama of the Year?
Because Kim Sam Soon's supposed to be this over-weight, plain-looking, lowly-educated lady from a humble (poor) family, who is on the verge of going over the hill (30 years old), and is the third daughter (less worth) in the family.

And.... she looks like someone we know... or maybe even we could be her, or she could be us. We ALL can relate to her one way or another.

And we all dream of a young, handsome AND rich guy sweeping our feet off the ground.

My take on Kim Sun-Ah (as Kim Sam Soon)
This actress put on fifteen pounds for the role. Really gotta give it to her. Wonder if she had a hard time reducing all that weight after this.

The fat clung onto her body so naturally. hehehe

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, she looks like the Malaysian HVD actress, Cheryl Lim Chiew Yin. I regret I couldn't find a mugshot of her on the net.

Another actress from Hong Kong's ATV has the same looks too. Here is her photo. Her name is Chan Sau Man, or something like that.

Anyway, all three of them have this flat, chubby cheeked, sad face, that makes their crying so believable. And there are lots of tears in "My Lovely Sam Soon".

My take on Hyun Bin (as Hyun Jin-heon)
This guy has got a boyish charm that many girls would easily fall for. I love him with his hair moussed. Without that, he looks too much like a high school student (too young).

He was the most handsome when he cried while relating the accident to Kim Sam Soon. Other times, he was far too aloof and has a smirk on his face.

Also, I loved the back shots of him, when he was walking off in a hurry. Captain Jang commented that his back is like a work of art, and I have to agree!

The scene of him that I will remember for a long time is when he tried to strangle the piggy plush toy (near the rubbish dump). Cute boy doing cute things.... aaawww he's so sweet...

My take on Daniel Henney (as Dr. Henry Kim)
WHOOAAA what more can I say? This guy is sizzling
HOT!

Aihhh he has the kinda looks that I can fall in love with in the blink of an eye. And he has got perfect teeth! You should see his smile!

Unfortunately, he has got this typical Caucasian ears (small) but nobody's perfect, anyway.... *shrug*

I think that it's a blooper to have him surnamed KIM since his mother's supposedly Korean. And in Korean custom, like the Chinese, children will take after the father's surname, not the mother's.

What I like about the drama ....
Surely the leng chais :p since the plot's rather simple without much twists and turns. Being an emo person, I also cried along with them almost every episode *sigh*.. so silly.

What I don't like about it ....
All the screaming & shouting & whacking... maybe it's a Korean custom. Just look at their Parliament sittings and we get real life drama there.

The unrefined Kim Sam Soon who eats with loud slurping noises and after every drink of beer, goes kkkhhheeeerrrrrrrrr (I wonder why)...

And in some scenes, she ate with one foot on the chair, like a trishaw puller... I know she's supposedly lowly educated, but that's over acting, me thinks :-(

Also the restaurant staff played basketball in full uniform, and worse, going in and out of the toilet in uniform with hat & apron, too. Yucks... the restaurant's supposedly high class but those scenes made it look like the local kopishop near my house.

Pay attention to the soundtrack. I don't get it why a horse's neigh is included!?!

And, I reiterate that it's difficult for me to believe the romance between Kim Sam Soon and Hyun Jin-heon. They look like a mismatched pair, sorry!

Gross moment:
People farting while they were taking a dump (two scenes) eeeewww that's ultra gross to be put on film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the 'blooper' with Daniel Henney's character, there could be a lot of explanations for that. For one, even though his mother is Korean, she is an Korean American, since she was adopted, and therefor will follow the standards of America. So, if his mom married a man with the surname Kim, she would have it, too. Also, there are situations where children in America take their father's surnames. Etc etc...

CyberPartyGal said...

Hi OctoberBreeze!


Thanks for your comment.

Well, that's what I meant. He's supposed to be mixed blood, hence he should take after the father's family.

Since he's mixed blood and his mom's Korean, then his dad is American and he should not be surnamed "Kim".

Post a Comment