Thai Movie ~ Shutter | My Movie Land

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Thai Movie ~ Shutter

Shutter, a Thai horror movie, is one of its kind.

Shutter movie poster

The movie starts with a young couple, Tun (Tun, ok, don't play play) and Jane having a good time with some of Tun's friends. On their way home, Jane, the driver of the car, knocked into a lady, but was convinced by Tun to flee the scene.

The next morning, stricken with guilt, Tun and Jane tried to search for information on a car accident at that spot the previous night. All they found out was that there was a car that crashed into a billboard, but there was no mention of a lady victim, injured, dead or otherwise.


Tun the photographer

From then onwards, Tun, a photographer, starts to see streaks of light in his photographs, or over exposure if you will.

This led to Jane finding out that the "streaks" were in fact of a girl, Natre, who studied in the same university as her, but who mysteriously went missing. In fact, Natre and Tun even dated but the relationship ended soon after, badly.

Tun and Jane, in their quest for answers, went to Natre's hometown, and met with Natre's mother. One of the scenes here made me scream out loud in the cinema. I think everyone screamed as well. Yes, it was that scary.

From this point onwards, things just got creepier, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Being Chinese, and a believer of God and spirits, I don't think the writers/producers went overboard with the kind of havoc spirits can create. Everything was very believable.

Ananda Everingham & Natthaweeranuch Thongmee as Tun & Jane

I recommend this movie to all masochists who love to frighten the shit out of themselves. After watching this, it took me two days to recover.

Note: I watched
Shutter when it was first screened in cinemas. I am looking forward to a second watch. If only I can find the time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment